Date:      Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:52:20 -0500
From:      Andy Novick <anovick@vnc.lawrence.ks.us>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ipfw and natd

I recently switched from Linux to FreeBSD as my firewall of choice.
However I have been having some problems when trying to masquerade just
one machine on my local area network.  The only way it seems to work is
if I divert from everything to everything.  However this ended up
causing problems with windows 95 machine's netbioses at my ISP.  (I have
a cable modem, so we are just one big network)  I want to make it so I
am only masquerading my one machine.  I have the following set up:

Windows95 PC (box we are masquerading) IP 192.168.2.2
FreeBSD PC (firewall) LAN IP= 192.168.2.3 INET IP= 24.124.35.52 ethernet
device= ed0

The following does its job with masquerading, but causes the problems
with my ISP:

natd -port 32000 -interface ed0
ipfw add divert 32000 ip from any to any via ed0
ipfw add allow ip from any to any

All other setups I have tried such as diverting only from 192.168.2.2 to
any has not worked.  I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks,

Andy

Andrew Novick
anovick@vnc.lawrence.ks.us