Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 10:29:55 -0500 (EST)
From:      Michael Lucas <mwlucas@blackhelicopters.org>
To:        Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Any Ideas When We're Going to See 4.0-RELEASE?

> Hi,
>
> Pending a major upgrade, is there any chance of 4.0-RELEASE being knocked
> out soon, or shall I just update to 3.4?
>
> This is a relatively major re-build which I don't want to have to do again
> for a year or so.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Smith
> Raytheon Systems Limited

Chris,

If you're doing a major rebuild and you don't want to risk being the
person to find this sort of bug, use 3.4.  It'll be fine.

In any software, avoid the .0 releases.  That's where the nasty and
subtle bugs will first be discovered.  Take a look at the mailing list
archives about problems with 3.0 if you want some nice scare stories.

Everything points to 4.0 coming out this quarter.  I'll be installing
on systems I don't care about, and my laptop.

==ml