Date:      Wed, 19 Feb 2003 16:20:55 -0600
From:      Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Petri Helenius <pete@he.iki.fi>
Cc:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>, "Joseph T. Klein" <jtk@titania.net>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: support of iso networking

* De: Petri Helenius <pete@he.iki.fi> [ Data: 2003-02-19 ]
	[ Subjecte: Re: support of iso networking ]
> > On the other hand the NetBSD folks don't see it as dead weight
> > and systems that may need to talk with core routers that use
> > IS-IS end up on other platforms.
> >
> > Perhaps this is why Arbor uses NetBSD.
> >

> It should be noted that hardly anything qualifies as "dead weight" on operating
> system that runs on your toaster, car stereo and washing machine not to mention
> old computers.
>
> There are different tools for different tasks and the quest for "there should be only one"
> is futile.
>
> The most significant router vendor using an open source OS is based on
> FreeBSD anyway so there should be no reason for shame.

Any company which is going to have to modify an operating system to run
on their routers who ignores an operating system with a reputable network
stack merely because it lacks in-tree support for a particular protocol
isn't worth hte money.  There are plenty of good ones out there who, in
addition to maintaining large amounts of local support diffs for FreeBSD,
also maintain netccitt or netiso or netns or whatever suits the market
they're selling for.  Hell, if they turn it down simply for lack of a
network stack, then they probably simply aren't willing to do anything
but minor maintainence to "keep it running" so what's the point for us?

They're probably making at least a few of their sales for having it around.

Heck, there are probably more people attached to FreeBSD on pc98 than to
netiso or ....  I'm willing to say that because hey look it's been at least
moderately well maintained, and kept up with most moves forward, except
for the wd(4) stuff, though I think I heard someone talking about hiding
wd, simply to get people to actually find and fix the bugs in ad on pc98.

In short: Yeah, exactly :)

juli, who's afraid her rants may be the equal of someone else's far too soon.
--
Juli Mallett <jmallett@FreeBSD.org> - AIM: BSDFlata -- IRC: juli on EFnet
OpenDarwin, Mono, FreeBSD Developer - ircd-hybrid Developer, EFnet addict