Date:      Tue, 20 Mar 2001 20:32:34 -0500
From:      "John Telford" <j.telford@sympatico.ca>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: What name brand would you buy for a firewall/router ?

I have a number of old pentiums but the concern is that the boxes will be at
remote locations so reliable hardware is a must. Or that at least has an
on-site warranty.  These old systems have a lot of mileage on their fans,
hard drives, power supplies and I'd hate to drive 60 miles because a PS
crapped out 2 weeks after installing it.
Perhaps I'll look at some less expensive clones.

I don't see much written about PicoBSD (runs off a floppy ?) how
reliable/configurable do you find it ?
Thanks, John.

Andrew Hesford Wrote:

If you want a box to push packets, go to a flea market or your favorite
source for old hardware, and buy an old Dell Dimension P100. If you
like, you can substitute the words "Dell Dimension P100" with the
name of your (boss's) choice.

I won't buy a Celeron on principle. A PIII is overkill extraordinaire if
you're just jockeying packets. Get something in the 100-200 MHz range,
which should go for less than $200 today.

Naturally you will want PCI slots, since all the good NICs are PCI
cards.

I've got a diskless, videoless Dimension XPS P90c that runs PicoBSD. It
does NAT, port forwarding, and packet filtering. I couldn't be happier.
Cheap, quiet, easy. And I don't feel like I'm wasting a good processor,
since I can't think of a better use for a 90 MHz Pentium.

On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 12:31:37AM -0500, John Telford wrote:
> If the boss said "stop using those old cast offs for FreeBSD
> firewalls/routers and buy a name brand"
> What's out there right now that would be worth looking at and avoiding.
> Dell, IBM, Compaq ? Processor Celeron, PIII, AMD ?
> Thanks in advance, John.

Andrew Hesford