Date:      Fri, 27 Mar 2009 10:17:53 -0500
From:      Andrew Gould <andrewlylegould@gmail.com>
To:        Mikel King <mikel.king@olivent.com>
Cc:        Terry <terry@bluelight.org.uk>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: web based file sharing

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 9:37 AM, Mikel King <mikel.king@olivent.com> wrote:

> On Mar 27, 2009, at 5:13 AM, Terry wrote:
>
>  Just looking for a way to give easy access over the internet to some files
>> for multiple users. Web based would be ideal as they all know how to open a
>> browser.
>> Internally files are shared using samba.
>> Has any one come across any thing ?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Terry
>>

> Depending on the client OSes you could go with a WebDAV based solution.
> Apache has several modules for dealing with dav. Mac OS X, KDE, and even
> most versions of Windows have built-in clients.
>

> Cheers,
> Mikel King
> CEO, Olivent Technologies
> Senior Editor, Daemon News
> Columnist, BSD Magazine
> 6 Alpine Court
> Medford, NY 11763
> http://www.olivent.com
> http://www.daemonnews.org
> http://www.bsdmag.org
> skype: mikel.king
> t: 631.627.3055
> m: 646.554.3660

I've found WebDAV to be a good choice.  I would suggest that you allow only
secure access (https, port 443) to the web server.  I have port 80 turned
off and blocked by a firewall.  It takes a little more configuration; but I
think it's well worth the effort.

I have accessed WebDAV via secure web from both Mac OSX and Windows XP.  I
know nothing of Vista (lucky me), so I can't speak to its compatibility.

Best of luck,

Andrew