Date:      Thu, 12 Aug 2010 16:17:17 -0400
From:      Tim Kellers <kellers@njit.edu>
To:        Fred Boatwright <fred@blakemfg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: X11 question

Fred,

 From man startx(1):

SEE ALSO
        xinit(1), X(7), Xserver(1), Xorg(1), xorg.conf(5)

Try:

# whereis X

If X is installed, it should return:

# X: /usr/local/bin/X

pkg_which if X is installed should return:

# pkg_which /usr/local/bin/X

xorg-server-1.7.5,1

If it doesn't, then the full X server isn't installed:

Try:

# whereis xorg

xorg: /usr/ports/x11/xorg

If xorg isn't installed, cd to:

/usr/ports/x11/xorg

and

make config-recursive  (If you add any options, run make
config-recursive a second time after the shell prompt returns)

and then

make install clean

HTH

Tim Kellers