Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 20:32:51 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@jennejohn.org>
To:        Volker <Volker@VWSoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: i4b newbie questions: debugging and pppd

Volker writes:
> 1) I've been able to setup a PPP dial-out using userland PPP but that's not
> my preference. I would like to get it working using kernel PPP(d) or using
> the isp? network interfaces (as I suspect a userland PPP to work slower
> than the isp drivers).

Userland PPP easily keeps up with a DSL link, so I doubt that speed is
an issue. Also, /usr/sbin/ppp is the _only_ way to do channel bundling.

> Using kernel PPP as far as I understand I'm unable to set the number to
> dial anywhere but in the isdnd.rc file (using userland PPP I'm using the
> command 'set phone 12345' to set the number to be dialed) - using kernel
> PPP I have to configure this number in isdnd.rc and can't change it on the
> fly, am I wrong?? Has anybody have an example on how to use kernel PPP with
> i4b or isn't kernel PPP with i4b possible at all??

If by "kernel PPP" you mean pppd, then, yes, there is no way to use it
with i4b. However, what you write is confusing, because isdnd.rc _is_
for, among other things, PPP using the isp-interfaces.

Of course you can change a tel. number in insdnd.rc and force isdnd
to re-read isdnd.rc (SIGHUP, but it also closes all active connections)
Read the isdnd man page.

It's also possible to specify a comma-separated list of telephone
numbers in isdnd.rc. Read the isdnd.rc man page, especially
remdial-handling.

> 2) Is someone able to give me a good pointer on how to debug the
> authentication using the isp? network interfaces? I know it's boring to
> investigate someone else's debug logs so I would like to do it but my
> knowledge is far away from being of any use for that.

[snip]
> Maybe my problem is also somewhat related to the routing information I'm
> trying to use. I'm using ifconfig ispX 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.1 netmask 0xffffffff
> to get the dynamic IP address from my ISP (this one is working) and later
> setting a default route to 0.0.0.1 - using an IP address of 10.1.1.1 for
> example as the gateway address also didn't work, so I'm still trying with
> 0.0.0.1. I just tried that because my ISP is using dynamic IP addresses and
> also I don't know the gateway address before dialing up.
>
> Any hints on how to debug this problem??

Use ``route add default -interface ispX''. At least, that's what I always
used, when I was still using ISDN.

Weird is that sppp should not demand an address from your ISP if his
address is really set to 0.0.0.1, per the sppp man page.

> 3) No autodial: when using 'ifconfig .... -link1' i4b is in auto-dial
> (dial-on-demand) mode. What if I want to control this manually (no dial on
> demand)? Will I be able to specify '-link0' and set the interface up and
> down for dialing / disconnecting or what else has to be done to control
> dialing??

Don't know anymore, I've forgotten whether this is even possible. If you
don't want to auto-dial then just ``ifconfig down'' the interface when it's
not in use.

> 4) Fax blues: I'm using a passive AVM Fritz!Card PCI. I was reading while
> not having a CAPI driver / subsystem, I won't have fax support (I know G3
> is a lot a calculation and D/A operation while using digital devices).
> There's a driver i4bcapi for the B1, does this mean that when using a B1
> one might have fax capabilities? If so, would the capi4hylafax (AVM) work
> under i4b? Has anybody tested that?
>
> I really need fax support and don't want to throw in a modem just for the
> faxing stuff, so I'm looking for alternatives. Does anybody here tried to
> get capi4linux (AVM) to work under bsd? Would it be possible to have a
> ported capi4linux and i4b on the same machine??
>
> What are my options for faxing?

Install WinBlows. Not even Linux supports FAXing on passive cards AFAIK.

The only way to use capi4linux (assuming that it's not one of those AVM
packets with proprietary .o's and some simple glue code) would be to
port it. You can't use Linux drivers with FreeBSD. The Linuxulator is
not quite _that_ good.

---
Gary Jennejohn / garyj@jennejohn.org gj@freebsd.org gj@denx.de