Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 07:44:35 -0500
From:      chuck yahrling <yahrling@cybertours.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   2.1.5 CD set

At long last I'm attempting to configure the 2.1.5 version on an intel P75.
I'm using a SCSI CDROM drive that seems to be working OK, but after
selecting various packages, such as SAMBA or the HTML docs, I get errors
saying that the package can't be found on the installation media (CD in this
case.)

The rest of the install goes fine - that is, I get a good, basic text-based
install that boots, hosts FTP over ethernet, etc.  What I don't get is a lot
of the packages I wanted.  So where do I get them?  I've looked at the ftp
site(s) and when I drill down to the directories, I see very small text
files, but no TAR, GZ or other binary archives.  I'm guessing that I don't
understand the way FreeBSD is distributed..... :^(  I'm willing to RTFM but
being that I'm a newbie (and certainly spoiled by Windows InstallShield
wizards) I'm having a hard time finding the how-to docs.

I'm tempted to go for one of the new 4-CD sets (2.5.5?) but don't want to
get my hopes up, especially if the jumpstart docs are as spartan as the ones
on the 2.1.5 CDs I have.  I really want to make this work, so where do I
find primers that tell me basic stuff like how to launch Xfree86, how to
logout (quit, exit, ctrl-c, ctrl-z don't seem to work) etc?  And is the new
set really going to be easier?  And is it available now (website sez mid
December?)

TIA
chuck
Chuck Yahrling