Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:18:38 +0200
From:      "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk@sgi.com>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Inspiron 4000 and Xircom RealPort

On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 10:08:41AM -0500, Frank Seltzer wrote:
> I recently received a Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop with a Xircom Realport
> CardBus Ethernet 10/100 + Modem 56 model # RBEM56G-100.  I was informed
> that several people running -current had this card working.
>
> I have installed the 20010320 -current snapshot in an attempt to get this
> working.  Using the default parameters for the pcic devices in the
> GENERIC kernel, boot will hang when trying to probe pccard0.  The boot
> will continue if I eject the card here.  If I assign IRQ 11 to pcic0 and
> disable pcic1 it does not hang but the probe returns:
>
> No card in database for "(null)"("(null)")
>
> Can anyone using this successfully give me the details of how they did
> it?

Cardbus support is not in the generic kernel.  Build a cardbus kernel,
taking NEWCARD as a starting point.  Going that route I got the
ethernet port of my Xircom CBEM56G-100 ("CBEM" not "RBEM" as you have)
recognized.  To recognize the modem, a patch to sio.c is needed.  I
recently got a hint from Warner Losh on how to do it, but due to lack
of time haven't completed yet.  Look for the thread "Cardbus status"
on this list if you'd like to see his recommendation.

--
Regards,
Georg.