Date:      Mon, 20 Apr 1998 16:21:02 +0900 (JST)
From:      Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: vfs changes synced w/ devfs

On Sun, 19 Apr 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:

> I went through these patches and they look pretty good for me.
> I didn't spend the 5 minutes on each patch that a full review would need
> but I think they look pretty good.
>
> "ship it."
>
> I'm not sure if my previous response got out. The mailer core-dumped just
> as it sent it.
>
> (in fact I just found the /tmp files so probably they were lost..)
> it was:
> --------------------------
> I don't see why there should be both vput and vrele
> surely it's obvious to the 'free' function whether it should
> be totally zapping it by the bloody reference count..
> If the answer is "but there may be transient references as well"
> then I think They should be counted as well.

I can think of a few reasons:

1) It was convenient, especially since they were used (written) a lot.
Note that there are far less after my patches.

2) Force of habit.  I actually like vput and didn't really feel
comfortable getting rid of it completely.

3) POLA for fs developers, maybe not such a big issue since the numbers
seem few.

> The DEVFS patches look fine.

Thanks.

> On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, Michael Hancock wrote:
>
> > I had a couple of problems with my changes in devfs.  The patch has been
> > updated.  http://www.freebsd.org/~mch/vop1a.diff.
> what was the problem?

Blush, one I made cosmetic changes around a vput() I was supposed to
delete but didn't and two I defined a struct proc such that it didn't even
compile.  I'm running devfs now with SLICE so that won't happen again.

> Everyone who's looked at terry's nameifree fixes has agreed with them too,
> but I can't find them now, otherwise I was getting ready to put them up
> for commit as well.

Unfortunately, they've gone stale.

Regards,

Mike Hancock