Date:      Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:32:37 -0700
From:      "Kevin J. Menard, Jr." <kmenard@cisco.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   vinum: faulty plex -- empty subdisks

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C001E4.C175ADA0

Hi,

I've been asking several vinum questions of this list as of late.  I'd =
really like to thank everyone that has helped me out thus far.

I guess first I should explain my HDD situation.  I have six (6) 10gig =
IDE drives.  They are all ATA66 devices, and come up as /dev/ad0, =
/dev/ad2, /dev/ad4, /dev/ad6, /dev/ad8, and /dev/ad10.  I would like to =
put them in two striped plexes, the second mirroring the first.  I put a =
single slice on each one.  The "boot drive" (/dev/ad0) now has (after =
yet another install ;-) / =3D 150M, swap =3D 150M, and then /vinum as =
9470M.  I partitioned /dev/ad6 in a similar manner.  For the remaining =
drives, I just put on one partition of 9770M.  (As I progressed through =
the drives, I named the mount points /vinumx; x++; ) =20

As these partitions would be used just as part of a vinum volume, I =
figured there would be no need to actually mount them, and thus rmdir'ed =
their mount point dirs from /.  In all the drives, partition e ended up =
being the partition I wanted to use in the vinum volume.  So I disklabel =
-e 'd all of them and changed their partition types to that of "vinum".

Recall that I wanted to stripe the two plexes.  If I interpreted it =
correctly (and this would sound rather logical to me), all the subdisks =
in the plexes had to be of equal size.  Thus, when I defined the plex, I =
had to set the sd length on all the drives to 9470M, the smallest drive =
size.

Now, when I go to create the vinum volume, something odd happens.  The =
volume comes up.  All the drives are up.  The first plex is up.  But the =
second plex is "faulty".  Then the three drives in that plex are =
"empty".  I read the online man page for vinum(4) at lemis.com that =
discusses all of the drive states, but alas, there is some type of typo =
there, and a word is omitted.  I did not even dare to guess what that =
word may be, as I would probably just dig my hole deeper ;-)

Does anyone know why a disk would be "empty".  If so, how can that be =
fixed?  And would that cause the plex to be "faulty"?

Thanks,
-Kevin

--If seeing my config file would help anyone understand my setup a =
little better, just let me know.

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C001E4.C175ADA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Hi,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I've been asking several vinum =
questions of this=20
list as of late.&nbsp; I'd really like to thank everyone that has helped =
me out=20
thus far.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I guess first I should explain my HDD=20
situation.&nbsp; I have six (6) 10gig IDE drives.&nbsp; They are all =
ATA66=20
devices, and come up as /dev/ad0, /dev/ad2, /dev/ad4, /dev/ad6, =
/dev/ad8, and=20
/dev/ad10.&nbsp; I would like to put them in two striped plexes, the =
second=20
mirroring the first.&nbsp; I put a single slice on each one.&nbsp; The =
"boot=20
drive" (/dev/ad0) now has (after yet another install ;-) / =3D 150M, =
swap =3D 150M,=20
and then /vinum as 9470M.&nbsp; I partitioned /dev/ad6 in a similar=20
manner.&nbsp; For the remaining drives, I just put on one partition of=20
9770M.&nbsp; (As I progressed through the drives, I named the mount =
points=20
/vinumx; x++; )&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>As these partitions would be used just =
as part of a=20
vinum volume, I figured there would be no need to actually mount them, =
and thus=20
rmdir'ed their mount point dirs from /.&nbsp; In all the drives, =
partition e=20
ended up being the partition I wanted to use in the vinum volume.&nbsp; =
So I=20
disklabel -e 'd all of them and changed their partition types to that of =

"vinum".</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Recall that I wanted to stripe the two=20
plexes.&nbsp; If I interpreted it correctly (and this would sound rather =
logical=20
to me), all the&nbsp;subdisks in the plexes had to be of equal =
size.&nbsp; Thus,=20
when I defined the plex, I had to set the sd length on all the drives to =
9470M,=20
the smallest drive size.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Now, when I go to create the vinum =
volume,=20
something odd happens.&nbsp; The volume comes up.&nbsp; All the drives =
are=20
up.&nbsp; The first plex is up.&nbsp; But the second plex is =
"faulty".&nbsp;=20
Then the three drives in that plex are "empty".&nbsp; I read the online =
man page=20
for vinum(4) at lemis.com that discusses all of the drive states, but =
alas,=20
there is some type of typo there, and a word is omitted.&nbsp; I did not =
even=20
dare to guess what that word may be, as I would probably just dig my =
hole deeper=20
;-)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Does anyone know why a disk would be =
"empty".&nbsp;=20
If so, how can that be fixed?&nbsp; And would that cause the plex to be=20
"faulty"?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>-Kevin</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>--If seeing my config file would help =
anyone=20
understand my setup a little better, just let me=20
know.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000D_01C001E4.C175ADA0--