Date:      Tue, 4 Mar 2003 11:52:43 -0700 (MST)
From:      YOU <trodat@server1.ultratrends.com>
To:        "Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Subject:   Re: hacking attempts?

On Tue, 4 Mar 2003, Kevin Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wrote:

> > him/her/it access to your sshd daemon. NOTE: It is 'normally not a
> good
> > idea' to do this, but if you don't want to rebuild with a firewall
> > configured kernel it will suffice.
> >
> And the reason it's not a "good idea"?  I've always
> assumed it was because you didn't want to be
> on vacation, at a friends house, or suddenly have
> your ISP switch subnets on you and lock you out
> of your box...
>
> Absolutely nothing wrong with denying the
> supposed "cracker's" IP;  AAMOF, go over
> to ARIN or APNIC or such and ditch entire
> Class A nets that you'll never touch...I'll never
> be in SE Asia, for example...
>
> I use a dual strategy here.  One machine only
> trusts a second; on the second box I deny
> the known bad guyz and let most others try...
> ...Needless to say, the really important stuff
> is on the first box...

I was only quoting the default hosts.allow line for sshd which states:

# Wrapping sshd(8) is not normally a good idea...

This is no reason not to use it since in the man for sshd it states:

/etc/hosts.allow, /etc/hosts.deny

Access controls that should be enforced by tcp-wrappers are defined
here.  Further details are described in hosts_access(5).

R.