Date:      Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:38:42 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: panic when loading mirror

--uwB7x3tnyrZQfZJI

On Sat, Apr 29, 2006 at 06:19:07PM -0300, Fernan Aguero wrote:
+> +----[ Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> (29.Apr.2006 12:02):
+> | You should configure both slices and partitions on mirrored provider.
+>=20
+> Pawel,
+>=20
+> thanks for your reply.=20
+>=20
+> If you say that I should set up the mirror first and then
+> slice and partition, I cannot but trust. But this is not
+> what I see here: http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/mirror/
+>=20
+> # place a GEOM mirror label onto first slice of second disk
+> # (actually on the last block of the disk slice)
+> gmirror label -v -n -b round-robin gm0s1 /dev/ad1s1
+>=20
+> the provider is already a slice, only partitions are done after
+> configuring and loading the mirror ...
+>=20
+> I'll try what you suggest, but I'll have to reintall the
+> whole box to do that.

Sorry, you have to have slices when you configure mirror on top of them.
Everything below (in your case partitions) you should configure on a
mirror device.

+> | To fix it you need to clear the old metadata first.
+>=20
+> I'm not following you here ... what metadata? The one added
+> by 'gmirror label'? Or metadata added by the normal
+> fdisk/disklabel process that I do when first installing the
+> box?

The latter. You can do it with gmirror turned off with this command:

	# dd if=3D/dev/zero of=3D/dev/ad0s1 count=3D16

This will destroy all your partitions.

+> | +> Or is this something that is expected to happen and should
+> | +> be fixed?
+> |=20
+> | This shouldn't act that way and panic your box for sure...
+>=20
+> That's what I thought. Should I file a PR? Under which
+> category?=20

Your report is not the first one related to the problem, so I wouldn't
be surprised if there is already PR describing it.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--uwB7x3tnyrZQfZJI

--uwB7x3tnyrZQfZJI--