Date:      Sat, 3 Aug 1996 01:23:21 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Frank Seltzer <frankd@yoda.fdt.net>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Parity errors during install

Hi All,

I am having trouble installing 2.1.0 on a new machine. The hardware
consists of:

	Asus P6NP5 Pentium Pro 200 MB
	64 MB RAM
	Adaptec 2940 SCSI controller
	Micropolis 4421 2.1 GB SCSI drive
	HP 1536 DAT tape
	Texel 3024 SCSI CD (~3 years old - the only old part)
	#9 Motion 771 video card with 4 MB

I am getting the following error quite often when installing or copying
from the CD to the hard drive:

	sd0(ahc0:0:0) ABORTED COMMAND acs:47,0 SCSI parity error

I have (after 12 hours of attempting installs trying different settings) a
very fragile installation. I have tried moving the SCSI devices around on
the bus, setting up a small DOS partition and almost every setting option
on the Adaptec. During install, I get these parity errors repeatedly at
varying places. After ~10-20 errors the computer will lock up for about 1
minute and then reboot.

Does anyone have any ideas about what to try next? I am too foggy right
now to think straight.

Thanks,
Frank
--
Only in America can a homeless veteran sleep in a cardboard box while a
draft dodger sleeps in the White House.    <unknown>