Date:      Fri, 07 Jul 2000 15:27:16 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        Lint^^ <lint@satan.reject.org>, "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>, Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, lint@satan.dyn.reject.org, cjm2@earthling.net, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, wilko@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make: don't know how to make dwarf1.c. Stop

Marcel Moolenaar wrote:

> Kent Stewart wrote:
> >
> > My sequence was
> >
> > 1 make buildworld
> >         configing and trying to make a kernel didn't work here.
> > 2 make buildkernel KERNEL=OPAL
> > 3 make installkernel KERNEL=OPAL
> > 4 reboot to single user mode with /OPAL -s
> > 4a saved /kernel and moved /OPAL to /kernel and all of the chflags.
> > 5 make installworld
> > 6 mergemaster
> > 7 cd /dev and did a ./MAKEDEV all just in case :)
> > 8 reboot
> >
> > I don't know if some of these steps were overkill but they worked.
> > There are obvious cd's missing.
>
> This is exactly what you need to do right now. In the near future we
> won't require steps 3 and 4/4a anymore and thus have a single pass
> source upgrade...

I believe in mostly automated tasks. I just like to see what is going
on and have a backdoor when something fails. This sequence gives me
that feeling of comfort. You aren't committed until everything builds.
I'm trying one of my real work computers now. The buildworld takes
awhile.

Now that I'm running using the new 7/7 source, I have to say this was
a large cvsup. The funny part was that I didn't know whether to
partially setup my new DSL connection or finish the install. The
install won because it was a current problem and if I have a DSL
problem, I can't get any help until Monday.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/bomber.jpg