Date:      Sat, 16 Nov 2002 16:49:50 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to do with userland *context() functions

On Saturday 16 November 2002 3:26 pm, Daniel Eischen wrote:
> After adding *context() as system calls, we no longer
> need the userland versions.  But I would like to use
> them in libc_r and they might be useful to someone else
> writing their own userland threading library.  As of
> now, we need different variants of them for libpthread,
> so they aren't expected to be used there.
>
> How do folks feel about keeping them in libc, but named
> as _getctx, _setctx, _swapctx?  They would be similar
> to _setjmp/_longjmp which don't save/restore the signal
> mask.  It'll add a little bloat to libc and they are
> only present for i386 and alpha archs.
>
> I'll have them repo-copied to libc_r if the consensus is
> to remove them from libc.

I'm not quite sure why libc_r can't use the standard swapcontext system=20
call. Is it something to do with the signal mask? It seems to defeat=20
the object to create a bunch of nice standard functions for low-level=20
thread switching and then not use them. Plus it means we need to=20
maintain two (or three) variations of the same code, which seems wrong.

--=20
Doug Rabson=09=09=09=09Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com
=09=09=09=09=09Phone: +44 20 8348 6160