Date:      Wed, 14 Dec 2005 12:01:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      caleb <destroyingculture@netspace.net.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pine

Hi everyone,
            I am having some problems setting up pine && .pinerc using
FreeBSD 6.0 - STABLE. My ISP uses POP and I am using thier SMTP for
outgoing. I spoke to the helpdesk and the POP server does not support ssl.
  Pine was compiled and installed with support for POP3

here are some lines from my .pinerc;

smtp-server=mail.myisp.net.au

inbox-path={pop.myisp.net.au/pop3}inbox

When I launch pine with the above settings Pine uses INSECURE login and
password. Even though the login is INSECURE, I can access my mail and use
newsgroups.

I have tried using;

inbox-path={pop.myisp.net.au/pop3/secure}inbox

but when I launch pine I get the error message;

'Can't do secure authentication with this server'

If you can offer advice could you please CC me as I am not subscribed to
the questions list. I know this question is not an OS question, but I
do not like the idea of sending my login details unencrypted through
the ISP network.

Thankyou,

caleb

--