Date:      Thu, 8 Oct 1998 09:06:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Alex Nash <nash@mcs.net>, emulation@FreeBSD.ORG, database@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sybase/uname: mystery resolved

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Other than this, sybase is working fine.
>
> Great.  Can we expect a port from you shortly that knows how to unpack/
> brand/install/whatever it?  Or should we just point people at the
> instructions that come with it?

A port would be relatively simple to make (and I'll probably do
one in time), but given the current state of the license I'm not
sure it would be good form to have it officially in the ports
collection.

Basically...

The linux_lib-2.4 port won't cut it, you need a ld-linux.so.2 and
a newer libc (at least, I have not nailed down exactly what is
needed).

As root you unpack the distribution using rpm2cpio. It expects to
be in /opt/sybase and opt/sybase is in the filnames in the rpm
file.

Create a sybase user (home directory /opt/sybase) and group.

As root, run the /opt/sybase/install/setperm_all, this fixes all
the file ownership an permissions in the sybase tree.

Log in as sybase...it will automagically run the sybinit program
to setup a database.

OR, run /opt/sybase/install/sybint manually after setting the
environment variables appropriately (see ~sybase/.profile).

-john