Date:      Tue, 23 Dec 2003 21:51:39 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Wayne E. Bouchard" <web@typo.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DAT drives

Okay, probably a dumb question but I can't readily find an answer
in the archives..

I just picked up a (used) surestore C1533A (thats an HP device) and am
having some problems getting it work quite right. I've got the dip switches
set correctly (I was able to find at least 3 corroborating pages for that)
but can't manage to get it to write correctly. It will only write about
50 megs using 0a as dump flags. Trying to specify -B and estimating
compression got me to about 200 but it's a 4 gig drive. All it wants to
do is write a few blocks, sit and sputter for a second or two, write a few
more, (repeat for about 15 minutes) and then tell me it's at EOM well before
it should be.

There are notes in the hardware compatability section that says this
drive has been made to work onder FreeBSD so I know at least that it's
not simply an unsupported device.

Any suggestions from the folks in the audience?

-Wayne