Date:      Fri, 2 Oct 1998 22:04:50 -0500
From:      Frank Pawlak <fpawlak@execpc.com>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

On Fri, Oct 02, 1998 at 07:08:53PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote:
> At 11:36 AM 9/30/98 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> I don't think so. Every announcement of Linux advocacy and support
> by a major vendor leaves FreeBSD increasingly in the dust.
>
> >I dunno, but it really looks from my angle like you're trying
> >extremely hard to see defeat where demonstrable progress exists
> >and I find that hard to fathom.
>
> Every time a major vendor supports Linux without also supporting
> FreeBSD, it's a defeat. A major one. And the rate of those defeats
> is accelerating daily.

I have to agree with Brett 100% on this one, while adding that it is
damned painful to watch.

> We can argue over how much it "simplifies" things, but it's nonetheless
> so. I don't see FreeBSD getting 1/100th the advertising, advocacy, and
> other vital market support from Walnut Creek that Linux gets from Red
> Hat alone (forgetting Caldera, Corel, and others for the moment).

This, in my opinion, is the *major* problem.  Their marketing bites the
big one.  I just posted regarding The Complete FreeBSD being used as a
text at the university that I'm attending.  FreeBSD is nowhere to be seen
with the other Open Source Operating Systems.  I know for a fact that WC
uses the same wholesalers as RedHat and Caldera.  So the logical question
is what the fsck gives.

> >Nice rhetoric - I especially like the football analogy at the end
> >there.  Rah rah.  Go team.  It's also surprisingly apt since I find
> >this kind of advocacy about as useful as a football cheer from the
> >stands - it conveys a certain degree of concern for the outcome of the
> >play, agreed, but it also suggests nothing more specific than the fact
> >that winning would probably be a really popular move on my part.

This is just the very thing that has helped push Linux over the top,
except that the Linux cheerleaders are a bunch of obnoxious little shits.

> I've made a specific suggestion: Pick up the fumble. Denying that there
> has BEEN a fumble does no good when the ball is rolling loose on the
> ground.

Here I'll disagree.  The ball is no longer rolling around the ground, but
is firmly in the grasp of Linux, and they have advanced it into the
defensive secondary on the way to the goal line

> >That one dirty little word we haven't mentioned yet, however, and the
> >one I think you've conveniently overlooked in all of your brum and
> >bluster is: "Logistics."  Start coming up with some decent plans for
> >growing new structures within the project without killing it in the
> >process and you'll have a lot more of my attention than you're getting
> >with this kind of fiery pulpit-pounding.

Aaahh, Tried this but didn't get a whole lot of support. Started a few
flame fests, but that's about all.

> Well, I'm afraid that right now the initiative lies with your employer,
> Walnut Creek. The only other option besides promotion, advocacy, and
> support from that company is to create a split in the market by
> introducing another vendor.

Can't add much to this, except that I view it the same way.

--
    --Frank

"At no time is the freedom of speech more precious then when a man hits
his thumb with a hammer."
   --Marshall Lumsden