Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:11:25 +1000
From:      "George F. Costanzo" <afx@pkl.net>
To:        "'David Wolfskill'" <david@catwhisker.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Report of collision-generation with MD5

The reporter got mixed up. Antoine Joux published a SHA-0 collision, while
the Chinese researchers, Xiaoyun Wang and co. put out the paper on
collisions in MD5, MD4, HAVAL, and full RIPEMD. A copy can be found here:

http://eprint.iacr.org/2004/199.pdf

This is the second version, after they used the wrong IV's initially. They
plan to release a more detailed version in the near future. I wouldn't just
wave off the attack; they seem to be able to find collisions fairly
quickly. For more info see recent posts on:

http://www.mail-archive.com/cryptography%40metzdowd.com/

--
George F. Costanzo <afx@pkl.net>
PGP Fingerprint: 1E4F 09F2 D637 B917 8D61  0413 4FBC 7DB0 1407 2B6D