Date:      Sat, 18 May 1996 11:37:23 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        jonas@mcs.com (Lars Jonas Olsson)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jonas@mcs.net
Subject:   Re: What proxy server?

Lars Jonas Olsson stands accused of saying:

>  I need a proxy server so that I can use netscape on Windows for WG
> machines on a private network (10.0.0.*). This would run on the
> internet server (FreeBSD 2.1R) that is connected via SLIP to internet.
>
>  What is easy to install, safe, and reliable?

SOCKS.  The Socks-5 port should build under 2.1R, and because you don't
need automatically-socksified clients, the lack of linker support
for it won't be a problem.

Netscape directly supports SOCKS.  You'll probably also want to run a
caching-only nameserver on the proxy server.

>  I'm looking for proxy server as that seems safer than having firewall
> and direct internet access from the win machines. I doubt the win
> machine net can be kept safe (passwords, shares, etc).

You're 100% correct there 8)  I've been using SOCKS in such an environment
for well over a year now, with a 0% maintenance requirement.