Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 12:54:40 +0000
From:      Keith Jones <keith@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Subject:   Re: mountmsdosfs(): Warning: ......

On Thu, Nov 20, 1997 at 11:15:00AM -0800, Doug White wrote:

> The problem is really that you've used FIPS to shrink a drive, and you
> shrank the drive below the threshold for changing the standard
> clustersize.  The msdosfs code isn't intelligent enough to grok the
> proper clustersize, so it spits that out.
>
> You should _*IMMEDIATELY*_ dismount the disk and not mount it until you
> reformat the DOS disk.  Damage to the MSDOS and possibly the FreeBSD
> filesystems will result if you use the FS when you receive the warning.

Erm, I don't think so. This problem was experienced with a freshly
formatted DOS partition on a clean disk. FIPS has never darkened my disks.

I'm also running DOS 7, FWIW - which is why I asked if an upgrade to
msdosfs was planned.

> If you need access to that disk from FreeBSD, install and use the mtools
> distribution instead.  Mtools in in ports.

I already have mtools. I built msdosfs into the kernel because mtools
upsets my sense of neatness. I'd far rather be able to treat the DOS
partition as merely another filesystem.

Regards

Keith
--
v Keith Jones                 Systems Manager, Blueberry New Media Ltd. v
| Postal Mail: 2/10 Harbour Yard, Chelsea Harbour, LONDON, UK. SW10 0XD |