Date:      Sun, 29 Apr 2001 19:23:51 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        trini0 <trini0@optonline.net>
Cc:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: email@domain.....

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, trini0 wrote:

> hey all.  Im currently setting up qmail/qpopper & I have dns configured.
>   Im trying to send mail to user@lan.trini (fake), but thats a no go.  I
> have to use the full hostname (user@box1.lan.trini) in order for mail to
> get sent anywhere in the lan.  I would like to set it up to where
> user@lan.trini sends to one box that handles all incoming internal mail.
>   I think is a dns thing but Im not sure.
> Thanks
> trini0

(Excused wrapped lines, I have an awful MUA)

If you have an appropriate ORIGIN you can do away with the absolute
names.

lan.trini.      IN      SOA     hivemind.lan.trini.
master.hivemind.lan.trini       (
                        ^^^ You're missing something here.

; Aliases
;
gatekeeper.             IN      CNAME   gatekeeper.lan.trini.

I'd be very surprised if BIND didn't ignore this line (if it lives in
the same zone file). A better way to do this is to stick a domain into
/etc/resolv.conf (or tell the windows clients about it in the network
settings).

; MX Records
;
lan.trini.              IN      MX      1       hivemind.lan.trini.

This looks like it ought to do what you're after. Is qmail configured to
accept email for the whole domain too? If:

	dig lan.trini. mx

works then I'd look at qmail next.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
"My army boots contain everything not in them." - Russell's pair o' Docs.