Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2001 13:43:49 -0500
From:      Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Dan Shearer <dan@tellurian.com.au>, Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2 cisco's and a fbsd box running bgp

At 12:54 AM 01/03/2001, Dan Shearer wrote:
>On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Kal Torak wrote:
>
> > If you are going to use FreeBSD for the routing why even
> > have the cisco's? Why not just have the T1's coming into
> > your FreeBSD box and then you can sell those cisco's or
> > something :)
> >
> > A fast CPU and decent amount of ram would beat those low
> > level cisco's easy! The only thing the cisco's seem to
> > have over FreeBSD are some of the more esoteric features
> > they can use...
>
>Do you have case studies that don't mind being cited to back this up?

Do you guys have your head in the sand? This is not new. We've been selling
t1 cards for years, mostly into the FreeBSD market. Stability has not been
an issue for a long time. Of course, every time you add a product you may
introduce something. Zebra has been evolving, but bgp is stable now and
ospf is coming along.

If you dont have a highly complex network with multiple border routers
(thus requiring ospf internally to manage it), zebra is just fine. with
128meg and some tuning you can hold full tables without any problems.

Dennis