Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 1999 17:18:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Dave H <dave@webgator.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, security-officer@freebsd.org
Subject:   Security status of BIND8 in stable

Hi,

I'll keep this brief. I basically have three questions about bind8 in
stable:

1) The version in stable is still 8.1.2 - is there any reason to believe
that the current well-known vulnerabilities in bind are not present for
some reason in our bind 8.1.2?

2) Why hasn't FreeBSD made a statement is response to Cert Advisory
CA-99-14?

3) How soon will the bind version be updated in stable? I'd prefer to
stick with source instead of ports for ease of maintenance accross
multiple machines. If building bind from ports is (and will continue to
be) the best way of maintaining bind, so be it - I will make the change
across all machines - I'd just rather not do it if it is not necessary.