Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:12:12 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Gerard Samuel <fbsd-questions@trini0.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Funky characters in KMail 1.5.4

--jI8keyz6grp/JLjh

On Mon, Feb 09, 2004 at 05:05:43PM -0500, Gerard Samuel wrote:
> Im not sure what to google for, so Im checking here to see if any other=
=20
> FreeBSD users experience this.
> Every now and then my emails that I send contain extra characters like
> =3D2D and =3D46
> I have no idea what is causing it, and Im hoping someone on here can dire=
ct me=20
> to something on the net to help me correct this.
>=20
> Thanks for any advise you can pass along...

That's something to do with the quoted-printable MIME type used in the
body of many e-mails.  See RFC 2045, section 6.7 at, eg:

    http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2045.html

However, your mail client should translate those character escapes
back to normal text before displaying it -- perhaps you're seeing the
escapes in some messages because those messages don't have the correct
MIME type in the headers?

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20