Date:      Thu, 18 Dec 1997 22:44:03 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can or does PPP report the modem connect speed?

Reporting the initial connect speed isn't very useful. I suspect modem
makers *know* the initial connect rate is the only thing most users
will ever know about the negotiated rate. When I last purchased a modem
I paid about $50 extra for a SupraSonic 28.8V+ with 2-line LCD display.
I had a Supra FaxModem 14.4k before, with 2-1/2 digit display.

These days I almost always get a 31.2k initial connection for receive.
26.4k is typical for transmit. The receive rate always negotiates down
to 28.8k about a minute into the connection. That's where I'm at now,
T26.4 R28.8.

Transmit rates almost never change. T24.0 is common. I suspect my modem
isn't going to bother negotiating a higher rate (and increased errors)
when it rarely saturates the rate it has. When I have seen it change TX
rate was during uploads.

What would be nice would be an out-of-band data channel to the modem
for discovering this information. Probably would be easier with an
internal modem than external. However I'd be happy to use two serial
ports to get the info.