Date:      Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:38:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bill Tillman <btillman99@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wireless Access Point

Okay I have finally decided to scrap my old D-Link wireless router in favor=
 of my FreeBSD-8.0 server with a wireless NIC ral0. I have thus far got the=
 NIC to come up and work as an access point. I can connect to this AP with =
my laptop computer via wireless. I'm running dhcpd on the FreeBSD server so=
 my laptop is also assigned an IP address as well.
=A0
My existing setup has a FreeBSD server running as a router/gateway for my e=
ntire LAN. This router has two NICs one connected to the cable modem from m=
y ISP and one connected to a switch on 10.0.0.0/24 Lan.
=A0
The existing D-Link router has it's WAN port connected to this same switch =
and it gets a 10.0.0.0/24 IP address from another FreeBSD server running dh=
cpd. This D-Link router is running dhcpd and it assigns 192.168.0.0/24 IP a=
ddresses to all wireless clients. When a wireless client boots up in my hou=
se they connect to this D-Link router and all is well.
=A0
This setup is working fine as all the workstations on 10.0.0.0/24 can acces=
s the Internet and all wireless clients on 192.168.0.0/24 can access the In=
ternet.
=A0
Now my new FreeBSD-8.0-STABLE server seems to be almost ready to take over =
for the D-Link router and my old FreeBSD server. I have two NIC's in this s=
erver, an ethernet cable one (bge0) and the wireless NIC (ral0) or wlan0.=
=20
=A0
I can ping outside addresses from this new server but of course it's using =
the 10.0.0.0/24 segment which I knew would work. But even though the wirele=
ss clients can connect to the wirless NIC and be assigned an IP address and=
 can ping the IP address of the server, both of them, =A0I cannot access th=
e Internet from any of the wireless machines. I could use some advice on wh=
at to do to correct this.=20
=A0=0A=0A=0A