Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 20:23:13 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
To:        "Justin M. Seger" <jseger@freebsd.scds.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG, asami@cs.berkeley.edu
Subject:   Re: Size of a port...

Speaking of sizes and ports, is anyone else totally sick of the ungodly
number of files in /usr/ports? It to me is absolutely disgusting. It takes
several minutes to to any type of "find" in /usr because of them.

My fix is to have a separate partition for /usr/ports and have it noauto
in fstab. But couldn't we fix the problem but using a single .tgz file for
each port instead of its own directory tree?

I think RedHat Linux uses something similar. If we need a different
format, fine. But having a _TREE_ for each port is freaking ridiculous.

Regards,
Kevin