Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 16:59:40 -0700
From:      Erik Salander <erik@whistle.com>
To:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.ORG>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>, Charles Mott <cmott@scientech.com>, Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Subject:   Re: Improved PPTP support for libalias(3)

We've ran into a bit of a snag with 2 PPTP clients, behind the same
address-translation entity, attempting to connect to the same PPTP server.
Everything is fine in the address-translation: two mappings, each distinguishable
from either direction.  But at the PPTP server, PPTP maintains an IP address based
association between the client and server.  So a second connection (in the
described manner) results in a collision of sorts.  Yesterday, when we checked in
the RTSP/RTP aliasing changes, we added a BUGS section to the libalias man page
about this.  This is a restriction for now.

This is how the combinations work at this point:

- 2 clients being address translated can successfully connect to different servers

- 2 clients being address translated can not connect to the same server
(restriction described by this post)
- 1 server being address translated can successfully serve many clients
- 2 servers being address translated is not yet supported.

Erik