Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:34:08 -0800
From:      "gummibear@nettaxi.com" <gummibear@nettaxi.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Trouble configuring sound on a Compaq Presario 5240

Hello all!

I'm having a pretty hard time configuring the sound card of a compaq presario 5240 with FreeBSD 4.2 release.  I have recompiled the kernel with "device pcm" and rebooted.  No pcm device seems to be found.

I'm not 100% sure what kind of sound chip it has, but by looking at the motherboard I noticed an ESS Audiodrive chip.  I believe that to be the sound chip.  I'm wondering if that sound chip is supported.  According to the pcm manpage, ESS sound chips are supported. Although, I didn't see any mention of the Audiodrive specifically (did I miss it?).  I'm trying to find more technical information on the Compaq site concerning this model.

One of things that I have seen in the past on this mailinglist is that sometimes the pcm driver won't find the audio device if the BIOS is set to PNP OS = Yes.  I'd check the BIOS but I have no clue how to get past the COMPAQ boot up screen and into the BIOS, but I'm also doing a lookup on that on the Compaq website.  In case you know how to get into the BIOS, please let me know.

Another thing I was thinking about was maybe the boot.conf or kernel.conf (forgot the name) file that sets device settings on bootup.  Maybe I have to tweak that?  I wouldn't think so, because I would still get something showing up in my dmesg concerning the audio device.  Maybe a device unknown or something at least.

Other than that, I don't know what else to tell ya.  If you need my kernel config and my dmesg output I'll gladly post that as well.

Please keep me posted! :)

Joey Garcia