Date:      Sat, 15 Jul 1995 00:33:53 +0300
From:      Heikki Suonsivu <hsu@cs.hut.fi>
To:        uk1@irz301.inf.tu-dresden.de (Ulf Kieber)
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: multi IO boards

   I'd like to hear, if there are any other cards available (I think
   there is at least an AST 8 port card I'd like to see documentation
   for), meeting the following requirements:

We use AST 4 clones with 16550's (NS ones) with mixed success; they work
fine most of the time, but sometimes the systems panic, and fail to find
all the ports on reboot.  The initialization code fails, possibly if there
is something in the FIFOs.  Reboot always cures it.  Other than that, with
increased serial buffer size they seem to be able to take in 115.2 PPP
links with no visible problems.

--
Heikki Suonsivu, T{ysikuu 10 C 83/02210 Espoo/FINLAND,
hsu@cs.hut.fi  home +358-0-8031121 work -4513377 fax -4555276  riippu SN