Date:      Wed, 18 Apr 2001 23:47:31 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>, "David Johnson" <djohnson@acuson.com>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Windriver, Slackware and FreeBSD

FreeBSD does not use kernel code that carries a copyright that is
not BSD-like, ie: a license that basically gives everyone
permission to do whatever the hell they want with the code.

Actually, the entire BSD licensing thing is getting a bit silly since
I don't think that the actual University of California, Berkeley,
has paid much attention to FreeBSD or any of the BSD's since they
dissolved CSRG.  More and more, the term "BSD License" is being used to
indicate a license that is unrestrictive, ie: Not GNU, rather than
an actual assignment of copyright to the Regents of the University
of California, Berkeley.

Now, different _applications_ in the distribution are a different matter -
in my opinion the C compiler (gcc) is probably one of the biggest problems,
kind of like the pink elephant that everyone pretends isn't there.  It's
a shame because at one time BSD did have it's own C compiler.  I don't know
if it
ever crossed over into the FreeBSD distribution but I've always thought it a
shame that we have to depend on GNU software for this task.