Date:      Wed, 18 Sep 2002 10:23:08 +0100 (BST)
From:      Graham Seaman <graham@codix.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   openssl upgrade problems - newbie stuck

Hi,

I'm a complete BSD ports newbie. I've inherited a BSD production machine
and am belatedly trying to upgrade openssl to the 9.6g version.
I'm trying to do this through the ports collection, which originally
had 9.6a installed, but which had a partial (broken) installation
of a later version over the top.

I've tried to override things manually to allow the upgrade (definitely
a mistake) but am unable to complete the installation.
make install gives me:
   ===>  Patching for openssl-0.9.6g
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for openssl-0.9.6g
Ignoring previously applied (or reversed) patch.
2 out of 2 hunks ignored--saving rejects to Makefile.org.rej
>> Patch patch-ab failed to apply cleanly.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/security/openssl.
*** Error code 1    [repeated 5 times]

is there any clean way to continue (or to back out and restart)?
The box is a live one; I can't easily take everything off-line to
experiment.

thanks for any advice
Graham