Date:      Mon, 6 Sep 1999 09:11:06 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        Andrew Reilly <A.Reilly@lake.com.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limit of bus hierarchies (was Re: PCI modems do not work???)

 > No.  The Windows world presents a standard SERIAL DRIVER interface, at
 > least that's the theory that is preached.  I see no reason why a USB
 > serial port wouldn't do the same.  USB defines a serial port
 > interface, IIRC, which is the same across manufacturers (in theory)
 > which would be handled by a single USB driver in our USB stack.

Keep dreaming ...

Example: Mice and keyboards have a well defined standard interface: HID
(Human Interface Devices), but we have found already three ways of doing
things, requiring a rewrite of the probe and attach functionality.

Reason: It's much cheaper to present one device with a special interface
and write the driver (for Windows) for it, than to present two functions
and having to integrate a hub on the device.

You don't want to know what a ethernet/parallel/serial/hub thingie looks
like. I don't have one,  so anyone that has one, could you send me the
output of the usb_dump utility avaible from

	http://www.etla.net/~n_hibma/usb/usb.pl

 > Likewise with parallel ports.  Although turning a USB parallel port
 > into a bit twiddling interface may present some interesting
 > challanges.

There is at least a spec for the parallel port devices.
--
ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy