Date:      Sat, 5 Dec 1998 19:41:01 -0500
From:      Matthew Patton <patton@sysnet.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   CAM vs traditional devices

I oopsed and posted to -scsi. Hopefully this belongs here.

I'm lagging -current by a month or so but I have been running with CAM now
for a while. I've noticed that the kernel probes the disks as daXX. I
therefore converted all of my fstab entries to use daXy where y is the
partition letter [a ~ g] except for the entry for root.

The kernel still thinks the root device is "sd0s1a". Why is that? Also how
come none of the "da" devices have trailing partition letters? eg. there is
"da0s1" and "da0a" but no "da0s1a". I am simply too far behind? The
/dev/MAKEDEV script doesn't build them.

Hmm, I just noticed that the 1st stage boot loader called for (sd0,1,a)
Maybe that's why the kernel is confused? I need to install-boot again,
right?

Again this may be an artifact of not tracking -current closely, but doesn't
anybody boot their boxes where say /usr is NFS mounted? /etc/rc doesn't
start the network till extremely late in the game - practically when it's
done. Other BSD's start the network immediately after / is marked RW. They
then explicitly mount /usr and /var in case the automatic method doesn't
happen to pick the right order.