Date:      Wed, 1 Mar 2000 18:37:10 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Jerry Lei <tylei@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: about building a kernel

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 09:57:21AM -0800, Jerry Lei wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I try to build a new kernel for my FreeBSD3.3, but there are some problem
> when I did it.
>
> 1. I put makeoptions DEBUG=-g in my kernel configration file.

That should be DEBUG="-g". Numbers must be in double-quotes (and ``-''
is a numeric digit).

> However, config -g give me a error message of syntax error. I double check

makeoptions    DEBUG="-g" and ``config -g'' do the same thing. From
LINT:

#
# The `makeoptions' parameter allows variables to be passed to the
# generated Makefile in the build area.  The following is equivalent
# to `config -g KERNELNAME'.
#
makeoptions    DEBUG="-g"              #Build kernel with debug symbols.

> the spelling as the same as what the installation guide says. I also got a
> warning for pseudo-device log is unknown. However, this description is asked
> mandatory as installation guide says.
>
> 2. After I comment out the above description and tried to make, I got an
> error message ../../netinet/ip_file.c 26 osreldate.h No such file or
> directory. I checked the source file in my HD and CDROMs, there is no this
> source file. After I comment out another options IPFILTER_LKM, then this
> error message doesn't show any more.
>
> 3. I have a sound blaster 16 on ISA bus, therefore, I put
> controller snd0
> device sb0
> device sbxvi
> device sbmidi
> in my configuration file. But I got error message when I built kernel.
> it says "isa sound audio audio.c undefined reference to DMAbuf_stat_devices.
>
> I was suspicious the problem might be occur because I install my FreeBSD3.3
> as xdeveloper, not including kernel developer. Could any one give me some
> suggestion about those problems? Thanks.
>
> Lei

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000