Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 1997 08:12:48 -0500 (EST)
From:      Patrick Gardella <patrick@cre8tivegroup.com>
To:        chuck yahrling <yahrling@cybertours.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: 2.1.5 CD set

Chuck,

On 21-Nov-97 chuck yahrling wrote:
>At long last I'm attempting to configure the 2.1.5 version on an intel P75.
>I'm using a SCSI CDROM drive that seems to be working OK, but after
>selecting various packages, such as SAMBA or the HTML docs, I get errors
>saying that the package can't be found on the installation media (CD in this
>case.)

 I can't speak to this :(

>The rest of the install goes fine - that is, I get a good, basic text-based
>install that boots, hosts FTP over ethernet, etc.  What I don't get is a lot
>of the packages I wanted.  So where do I get them?  I've looked at the ftp
>site(s) and when I drill down to the directories, I see very small text
>files, but no TAR, GZ or other binary archives.  I'm guessing that I don't
>understand the way FreeBSD is distributed..... :^(  I'm willing to RTFM but
>being that I'm a newbie (and certainly spoiled by Windows InstallShield
>wizards) I'm having a hard time finding the how-to docs.

Take a look at the ports collection:  http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html
and also read http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/ports.html

Basically those small text files are all you need.  You copy them to your
machine, untar them (tar -xzf xxx.tar).  Change directories (cd) into it
and type make install.

You get even more spoiled by this.  It goes out and downloads all the
*stuff* and installs it.  *sweet*

>I'm tempted to go for one of the new 4-CD sets (2.5.5?) but don't want to
>get my hopes up, especially if the jumpstart docs are as spartan as the ones
>on the 2.1.5 CDs I have.  I really want to make this work, so where do I
>find primers that tell me basic stuff like how to launch Xfree86, how to
>logout (quit, exit, ctrl-c, ctrl-z don't seem to work) etc?  And is the new
>set really going to be easier?  And is it available now (website sez mid
>December?)

Read the handbook on the web site as well as the primers/tutorials.
They are under the Documentation section on www.freebsd.org.

2.2.5 is out on CD.  I've had mine for 2 weeks+.

And it gets easier all the time.  With the CD set, you can have a running
X-Windows FreeBSD machine running in about 1 hour.

Patrick Gardella