Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 11:30:09 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Steven Kamer <skamer@asiamail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hard disk support for big hard drives

Steven Kamer wrote:

> Hello,
> I will be installing FreeBSD on a Dell Dimension Pentium II 466 - I
> would like to install some of the following disks below, so that I can
> have about 50 GB total disk space.  I have already verified with Dell
> that these hard disks are compatible with Dell's hardware.

First of all, there isn't a P-II 466. It is a Celeron 466 and that is a
different CPU. P-II's above 350 MHZ are multiples of 100 such as 3.5,
4.0, 4.5, and etc.

> My questions to you are:
> 1) Are any or all of these disks compatible with FreeBSD

What disks :-). In order to use 50GB I hope you are going to use wide or
lvd SCSI.

> 2) Is there a limit to how big a partition can be within BSD (i.e. - bsd
> can see the hardware of a 20gb drive, but can only recognize 7gb of it)

The boot partition can't be larger than 1024 cylinders. That is at the
largest size when you use LBA. Since we don't know what kind of disks
you are talking about, there isn't much that can be commented on. FYI, I
have a 13GB Maxtor IDE drive and and 3.1R and later processed it just
fine.

> Thanks in advance.
> Steve Kamer
> skamer@asiamail.com

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kstewart@3-cities.com

Hunting Archibald Stewart, b 1802 in Ballymena, Antrim Co., NIR
http://www.3-cities.com/~kstewart/genealogy/archibald_stewart.html