Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 07:33:06 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>
Cc:        julian@elischer.org, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SACK in FreeBSD TCP.

I can't comment on what the symptoms are in Oz, but testing on very
large streams done last year by ESnet, Lawrence Berkeley National
Laboratory, and Argonne National Laboratory made it painfully obvious
that trying to run a single TCP stream of over 200 Mbps between
Chicago and California was impossible without SACK. It does require
many other things, like very large windows and fast recovery, but
without SACK it's hopeless.

In our testing we used Solaris and Tru64 UNIX, but FreeBSD was not an
option because of the lack of SACK. As a strong proponent of FreeBSD
and the FreeBSD network stack in particular, this was a bit painful to
me.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)