Date:      Sun, 11 Oct 2015 14:37:37 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ethernet Errors

--hm2hT6LDD2XRtLHXGe3ibkNaa6sIc72eC

On 11/10/2015 11:14, Doug Hardie wrote:
> I have 4 servers and a couple other devices on two ethernet LANS.
> There is no routing between the LANs.  One is for internet
> connections and the other for purely internal traffic.  Both the LANs
> are 100 Mbps switches (different models).  One of the servers is
> showing ethernet errors on both interfaces.  One interface has more
> input errors than output, and the other is reverse.  None of the
> other servers or devices show any errors ever.  It seems a bit
> strange that two switches would have errors on one port or that one
> server would have errors on two different NICs (different
> manufacturers) starting at about the same time.  The errors do
> continue to build up, but very slowly.  This server does see quite a
> bit of traffic, but its not as much as it used to be when there were
> no errors.  I am at a loss to explain what is going on or where the
> problem might be.  Any ideas?  Unfortunately these servers are a 3
> hour drive away at 1 AM.  It=E2=80=99s considerably longer during the d=
ay as
> I have to drive through Los Angeles.

Errors in 'netstat -i' output are frequently due to the cabling
connected to that network port.  The cables are also about the cheapest
components that could be affected.  I've seen this sort of thing happen
when an ethernet cable gets kinked, when the ethernet plugs aren't
properly pushed home or even when it is cable-tied in place too tightly.

Get that checked out and maybe try swapping out ethernet cables before
attempting any more expensive repairs -- that should be something you
can get your colo people to look at without you needing to go there in
person.

	Cheers,

	Matthew