Date:      Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:24:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   ports/38953: ethereal port won't build with recent net-snmp port

>Number:         38953
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       ethereal port won't build with recent net-snmp port
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
	The 'configure' step for ethereal port fails due to the
absence of the include/ucd-snmp/snmp.h file. The net-snmp port (the
places its includes in include/net-snmp. This is the location for the
includes whether one does a fresh install of net-snmp or upgrades from
an old ucd-snmp install to net-snmp. From the configure script output,
it seems like it is supposed to understand that Net-SNMP and UCD SNMP
are actually the new and depricated names for the same software,

  checking whether to use UCD SNMP/NET-SNMP library if available

However, the configuration fails for net-snmp,

  configure:4541: checking whether to use UCD SNMP/NET-SNMP library if available
  configure:4606: checking for ucd-snmp/snmp.h
  configure:4616: cc -E  -I$(top_srcdir) -I$(top_srcdir)/wiretap -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/X11R6/include -I/usr/local/lib/include conftest.c >/dev/null 2>conftest.out
  configure:4612: ucd-snmp/snmp.h: No such file or directory
  configure: failed program was:
  #line 4611 "configure"
  #include "confdefs.h"
  #include <ucd-snmp/snmp.h>

Since it only looks in the old location.

>How-To-Repeat:
	Install a recent net-snmp and then try to install ethereal.

>Fix:
	The bug appears to be in Ethereal itself and not port code.
The right thing to do would probably be to have two separate checks,
first check for (the newer) Net-SNMP files, and if they do not exist,
fall back to looking for an install of UCD SNMP. Files have moved
around a bit in the Net-SNMP distribution with respect to the UCD SNMP
dist. Something like a simple 'ln -s /usr/local/include/net-snmp
/usr/local/include/ucd-snmp' will NOT work.