Date:      Wed, 8 Jul 1998 21:44:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Neil Bradley <neil@synthcom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PPP Troubles

> > > default:
> > >   allow users
> >                 ^^^^^ .. who?
> > allow users takes arguments: which users to allow.
> allow user f00f kaput oooooo
> * f00f, kaput and oooooo are my 3 users who are allowed.
> You also need to add those users in /etc/group under "network" or
> something like that.
> Notice than there is NO "s" in the word "user".

Yup. Got past that part, though I might point out that in the ppp man page
it states:

"PERMISSIONS
     By default, ppp will not run if the invoking user id is not zero.
     This  may be overridden by using the ``allow users'' command in
     /etc/ppp/ppp.conf."

Hence the confusion.

However, now that I'm past that, I get a message in my /var/log/messages
file saying:

Jul  8 18:14:52 beacon ppp[756]: Warning: OpenTunnel: No such file or
directory

But the thing is that I *DO* have a tun0 device, and nothing else is using
it. In fact, I also created a tun1 thru tun3 (and all devices report
tun(x):flags=8010<POINTOPOINT,MULTICAST> mtu 1500" as it should), but no
matter what I do, I get this error.

This is user ppp, and I'm attempting to use it in -direct mode with 2.2.6.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-->Neil