Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 10:55:21 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        rsharpe@ns.aus.com
Cc:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.ORG>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>, FreeBSD-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding si_fd to struct __siginfo ...

Richard Sharpe wrote:
> Well, it turns out that there are two problems with what I suggested: 1,
> signals are lossy, in that if multiple signals occur, only one might be
> delivered; and 2, there is no place to store any signal-related
> information in the kernel, in any case.

The KQueue delivery of signals actually isn't lossy; they are
treated as discrete events.  Not that I'm advocating you use
this mechanism, though...

> So, it seems like kqueue is really the only game in town, but I will
> need an appropriate filter, and it would be nice if I could get some
> sort of async notification that there were events ready to be processed,
> as I really don't want to rewrite Samba completely, just to support
> kqueue ...
>
> Hmmm, perhaps the approach should be to signal that leases/oplocks have
> been broken, but provide the details via kqueue.

FWIW: There is already an OpLock mechanism in FreeBSD to deal with
NFSv3 leases.  I recommend that you hook into the lease notification
mechanism to use for OpLocks.

You should also talk to Jeremy Allison (I believe he is at HP
right now), since he has extensive experience with FreeBSD, as
well as being one of the main SAMBA guys.  He and I had discussed
OpLocks before (back in 2000).

-- Terry