Date:      Mon, 06 Jan 2003 13:08:53 +0000
From:      lemon <lemon@aldigital.co.uk>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: getnameinfo contacting 'wrong' resolver for lookup

Peter Pentchev wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 06, 2003 at 12:32:57PM +0000, lemon wrote:
>
>>Peter Pentchev wrote:
>>
>>>Can you post the full configuration of the tinydns and dnscache
>>>services, e.g. using Jonathan de Boyne Pollard's tinydns-showctl and
>>>dnscache-showctl utilities, available from
>>>http://homepages.tesco.net/~J.deBoynePollard/Softwares/djbdns.html
>>>Also, it would be very useful to see the full logfiles generated by
>>>dnscache and tinydns around the time of the unsuccessful lookups, and
>>>the exact contents of your /etc/resolv.conf file.
>>
>>sure, inline below. if it borks the mailer, it's also at:
>><http://www.lemonia.org/732/dns_info.txt>.
>

> Mmm.. it seems that I might need a bit more info to diagnose
> the problem.  Could you also post the output of the following command:
>
>   grep ^ /var/dnscache/root/servers/*

$ grep ^ /var/dnscache/root/servers/*
198.41.0.4
128.9.0.107
192.33.4.12
128.8.10.90
192.203.230.10
192.5.5.241
192.112.36.4
128.63.2.53
192.36.148.17
198.41.0.10
193.0.14.129
198.32.64.12
202.12.27.33

 >>the two log tails were started at the same time, but the activity was
 >>seen in the tinydns log first, then the dnscache.
 >

 > Well, those log snippets do not seem to cover the same time interval.
 > Running them through the tai64nlocal utility shows that the tinydns log
 > entries are from 13:04:29 to 13:04:59, while the dnscache ones start at
 > 13:05:39.  Are there any dnscache log entries for 13:03 or 13:04?

none seen. as above, the tails were started at the same time; it's just
that there was no dnscache activity until after the tinydns stuff had
timed out. from that point on, there's no activity in the tinydns log
either.

ta, l.

--
lemon@aldigital.co.uk   +44 020 8742 0755   www.aldigital.co.uk