Date:      16 May 2002 04:02:56 -0600
From:      Thomas Foster <thomas.foster@section6.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MPD and routing

OK.. I've been trying to hold off posting for days, but I am now pulling
my hair out.  I've searched all over the archives and tried various
configurations.. but now I'll simply give the layout.

Ive got a FreeBSD stable IPF machine with one external public address of
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx on a cable modem and one internal interface of 10.0.0.1
/ mask 255.255.255.0 on a private LAN.

I have got another FreeBSD machine (single NIC) running PPTP services
with MPD, sitting on the private network side with an address of
10.0.0.2 / netmask 255.255.255.0.

TCP port 1723 and protocol 47 (GRE) are opened and being properly
redirected via IPF/IPNAT to the appropriate interface on the computer
running MPD.

When a client from the outside network requests a connection to the PPTP
server, they are connected, authenticated, and logged in.  After
authentication and connection they are unable to reach any other host on
the network, no ping, no trace, nothing.  I attempted to ping the
connected host from another machine (10.0.0.5) on the internal network..
nothing.  The client is only able to reach the interface of he MPD
server (10.0.0.2) and vice versa.. the MPD server can ping the connected
client (10.0.0.100)

Upon closer inspection of the IP configuration of the clients I notice
that they are assigned the appropriate address specified in the bundle
but their netmask and gateway information are not what I defined for the
bundle.  I've also found that the network configurations vary upon the
client attempting the connections.  An example would be:

Windows 98/ME				Windows 2000
address:  10.0.0.100			address:  10.0.0.100
netmask:  255.0.0.0			netmask:  255.255.255.255
gateway:  10.0.0.100 			gateway:  10.0.0.100

"This is strange", I thought.  "Is this normal behavior?"  So I scoured
Deja and archived lists looking for answers.  I have found many issues
revolving around enabling ARP cache and running MPD/PPTP on a dual homed
system that acts as a gateway.

I originally enable proxy-arp in my mpd.conf file. I checked the ARP
tables of other machines on the network and did see the ARP entry for
the client logged in via PPTP (10.0.0.100), but still could not ping the
host.

I have tried to "set iface route 10.0.0.1/24"

I have adjusted the "set ipcp ranges 10.0.0.2/23 10.0.0.100/32" to
reflect /24, and then back again to /32.

I added another interface with an address of 10.0.0.20/24 and used it in
the ipcp ranges definition while still having the server listen on
10.0.0.2 as defined in the mpd.links

I've even attempted to pass a 255.255.255.255 range so that the client
might obtain an address from another machine (10.0.0.42) running DHCPD.

I have read and spoke to other people that are successfully running MPD
as a PPTP server.  I have even borrowed conf and links files from them,
but no success.  There has to be something very small and stupid (KISS
principle)I am missing, but I am afraid it escapes me.  Hopefully this
post is informative enough without being as bloated as Microsoft code.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thomas Foster
section6 networks