Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 1998 10:56:50 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Bohdan Horst  <nexus@hoth.amu.edu.pl>
To:        Joao Paulo Campello <john@neoplanos.com.br>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Security How-to for your review.

On Tue, 28 Jul 1998, Joao Paulo Campello wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I dunno if it's the correct list to ask for this kind of information, but...
>
> 	I once tried to compile an irc daemon in my old Linux, and when needed to
> establish more than 256 simultaneuos connections I've got the error:
>
> "FD Table too big"
>
> I didn't find any kernel option in the RedHat kernel configuration to rise
> the FD Table value... Now i've the same problem in my FreeBSD 2.2.6
>
> Does anybody know which is the FD Table value in FreeBSD? Or even how to
> change this?!?!

FreeBSD 2.2.*
/usr/src/sys/sys/types.h
---------
/*
 * Select uses bit masks of file descriptors in longs.  These macros
 * manipulate such bit fields (the filesystem macros use chars).
 * FD_SETSIZE may be defined by the user, but the default here should
 * be enough for most uses.
 */
#ifndef FD_SETSIZE
#define FD_SETSIZE 256
#endif
---------

change this to 1024 (or 2048) and ircd will work fine :) (tested on ircd
with >800 users)

p.s.
FreeBSD 3.*  ->  #define FD_SETSIZE 1024

--
 / irl:Bohdan 'Nexus' Horst | mailto:nexus@irc.pl | irc:Nexus \