Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2019 19:32:44 -0800
From:      Frank Fenderbender <frankfenderbender@council124.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        MJ <mafsys1234@gmail.com>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?Trond_Endrest=F8l?= <trond.endrestol@ximalas.info>, Polytropon Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: doc listing of a full install's structure?

Thanks for your astute comments, questions, and requests for better =
clarification (which was definitely lacking in my query).
Sorry for that.
Hopefully I can distill down my goals as well as let be known my sense =
of what I am doing, which.. heh, heh... will also=20
expose what I do NOT know, but that's what this is all about: learning =
from the robust thinkers and experienced experimenters out there in the =
list.
For that (and all of you) I am grateful. So, thanks to anyone reviewing =
or commenting.

I'm trying to research before accepting any installation or =
documentation "defaults" which may or may not be mins, maxs, optimum, =
cast-in-stone, etc..
I know enough not to base the FreeBSD system needs/performance upon any =
other OS's, however, Ubuntu is all I have to go on thus far, so=20
I'll use it as an example.

I can base this on a combination of different sources: guess, gut =
feeling, qualified-and-similar "solutions" from web posts from which I =
have to
interpolate, extrapolate, combine, and filter. The latter is always a =
lot of work sauced with chance and luck.
My gut says to go with the listees' experiences, as you are current and =
still full of imaginative zest and fire.

Okay, maybe it's best to show what I've got so far (and it's =
less-than-"perfect", esp. since what the FreeBSD documentation wisely=20
suggests [listed below]).

On Ubuntu, one can let the install all the OS's folders into 3 =
partitions, however, performance and backups are=20
easier when the pre-install space is modularized so that the install =
finds a mounted partition=20
for its larger and more-used folders.
It's even recommended that certain partitions be located in certain =
drive regions for "first" and "fast" access (e.g., EFI, MBR,=20
/boot, etc.).
=20
Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 LTS installations will default to just three =
partitions:
	label=3DESP (type=3Dfat32; flags=3Dboot,esp)
	label=3DOS;	type=3Dfat32; flag=3Dmsftdata)
	label=3DUBUNTU (type=3Dext4; no flags).

You add your swap from the "free space" left over....

My two systems have their Ubuntu 18.04 (1T) drives set up as:

what               type       mount-pt     input-size     actual-size
-------               -------    ------------     ---------------     =
---------------
free space                                                               =
             1M
/dev/sda1      fat32     /boot/efi       1,001M              1,000M (1G) =
        <=3D=3D input-size covers the 'free space' preceding it
/dev/sda2      fat32     /biosgrub          10M                   10M =
(0.01G)
/dev/sda3      ext4      /boot             4,000M             4,000M =
(4G)
/dev/sda4      ext4      /                300,000M         300,000M =
(300G)      <=3D=3D the "root partition" is used for the OS
/dev/sda5      ext4      swap          12,000M           12,000M (12G)
/dev/sda6      ext4      /usr             20,000M           20,000M =
(20G)
/dev/sda7      ext4      /tmp            12,000M           12,000M (12G)
/dev/sda8      ext4      /usr/local    50,000M          50,000M (50G)
/dev/sda9      ext4      /home       600,000M        600,000M (600G)

Additional installs of Ubuntu would leave off the /boot/efi partition.
UEFI will map GRUB boot list choices to their respective bootloaders on =
their respective HDs.

So, I seek to do the same (or similar) for FreeBSD on one of the =
additional internal HDs by partitioning it before=20
the installation defaults the drive into a series/set of default usage =
issues.

The amount of swap is based on a multiplier of how much RAM you have. =
Each system has 32G.
The parttion-size numbers are different depending upon whether you're =
using ZFS -- which I will not -- and the size of the HD itself.
You don't just double what a 500G HD uses to get your partition-sizes =
for a 1T HD, etc.
At a certain point the numbers do not need to get larger, and certain =
ones have a minimum.
I seek that information.

--------------------
W/rt/ FreeBSD:

"When laying out file systems, remember that hard drives transfer data =
faster from the outer tracks to the inner. Thus, smaller and =
heavier-accessed file systems should be closer to the outside of the =
drive, while larger partitions like /usr should be placed toward the =
inner parts of the disk. It is a good idea to create partitions in an =
order similar to: /, swap, /var, and /usr.

The size of the /var partition reflects the intended machine's usage. =
This partition is used to hold mailboxes, log files, and printer spools. =
Mailboxes and log files can grow to unexpected sizes depending on the =
number of users and how long log files are kept. On average, most users =
rarely need more than about a gigabyte of free disk space in /var.
The /usr partition holds many of the files which support the system, =
including the FreeBSD Ports Collection and system source code. At least =
2 gigabytes of space is recommended for this partition.

When selecting partition sizes, keep the space requirements in mind. =
Running out of space in one partition while barely using another can be =
a hassle.

As a rule of thumb, the swap partition should be about double the size =
of physical memory (RAM). Systems with minimal RAM may perform better =
with more swap. Configuring too little swap can lead to inefficiencies =
in the VM page scanning code and might create issues later if more =
memory is added.
By properly partitioning a system, fragmentation introduced in the =
smaller write heavy partitions will not bleed over into the mostly read =
partitions. Keeping the write loaded partitions closer to the disk's =
edge will increase I/O performance in the partitions where it occurs the =
most. While I/O performance in the larger partitions may be needed, =
shifting them more toward the edge of the disk will not lead to a =
significant performance improvement over moving /var to the edge.
A standard FreeBSD GPT installation uses at least three partitions:
	=95 freebsd-boot - Holds the FreeBSD boot code.
	=95 freebsd-ufs - A FreeBSD UFS file system.
	=95 freebsd-swap - FreeBSD swap space."

	Source:	Chapter 2. Installing FreeBSD; 2.6. Allocating Disk =
Space
			=
https://freebsd.org/doc/handbook/bsdinstall-partitioning.html
--------------------
I seek more than a description or documentation of where to find a =
default installation's partitions listed.
I want to know from people who planned their partitions for performance, =
maintenance, and non-default use, in my case, development/testing of =
projects aiming for cross-platform and platform-independent Python, C, =
Java, PyQt5 code (using SQLite) and the dev/test OSs on two N-boot =
workstations are Windows10, FreeBSD, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, =
DragonflyBSD, and GhostBSD.

So, I am researching what people have done with 1TB/2TB =
FreeBSD-exclusive HDs when ZFS is not used.
Hope that makes it more clear.

best wishes,
"frank"
frankfenderbender@council124.org