Date:      Wed, 9 Jan 2008 16:26:49 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Xn Nooby <xnooby@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two minute pause at acpi.ko message on old HP laptop with 7.0-RC1

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008, Xn Nooby wrote:

 > The pause is right after the menu where I choose #5 Verbose Boot.  It
 > hangs on the first message line of output which is:
 >
 >   /boot/kernel/acpi.ko text=0x52030...
 >   \
 >
 > In the dmesg log it looks like this is where it hangs:
 >
 >   Copyright (c) 1992-2007 The FreeBSD Project.
 >   Copyright (c) 1979, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1988, 1989, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994
 >  	The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.
 >   FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
 >   FreeBSD 7.0-RC1 #0: Mon Dec 24 12:18:24 UTC 2007
 >       root@logan.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC
 >   Preloaded elf kernel "/boot/kernel/kernel" at 0xc0d93000.
 >   Preloaded elf module "/boot/kernel/acpi.ko" at 0xc0d931c4.

Ok.  It's still not really clear to me whether the pause occurs during
or after loading acpi.ko, but I'm suspecting afterwards, as there don't
appear to be any ACPI issues logged.  I noticed nothing obvious in your
verbose dmesg, but me noticing nothing says very little indeed ..

Does this laptop have a floppy drive?  A serial port?  If so, they seem
to not be being properly detected.  If not, perhaps they may exist on an
optional docking station, which may explain the probe attempts?

Unless somebody here spots something soon, as it's 7.0-RC1 I'd suggest
reposting this to freebsd-stable@ providing the full HP model number.

cheers, Ian

 > The full verbose log is here:
[..]